Because the events are initialised on page load for the dom state available
at that moment (more on this here:
http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials:AJAX_and_Events)<http://docs.jquery.com/Tutorials:AJAX_and_Events>
.
either you include your javascript inside the ajaxed html (baaaaaad), or
(wiser solution) you use livequery plugin, available here:
http://plugins.jquery.com/project/livequery