I'm getting very similar behaviour in Safari and WebKit nightly build
with a slideshow widget i'm making with jcarousel. I'm not using
google js, just local jquery, and also using the preload plugin to
preload my images. (http://plugins.jquery.com/project/Preload)

Seems that when the site is tested on localhost (ie, fast loading
times) i get the unexpected behaviour - sometimes jcarousel fails to
fire, essentially, so the prev/next buttons don't show and no
scrolling happens. If i refresh, sometimes i get expected operation,
other times it remains broken.

FF and even IE work fine -- it's almost as if Safari/WebKit is too
fast... Is there some cleverness about the way it works that disagrees
with Jcarousel - but only sometimes?