I'd like to combine and compress my jQuery and jQuery UI files into a
single minified file, but I've noticed that every time I do this It
just breaks and gives me "$ is not defined".

If I do a copy/paste of the two uncompressed files together, it works
fine but it's a 100kb file!  When I got to minify or pack this file,
that's when it always breaks.  I've tried Dean Edwards packer, JSmin,
and YUI all with the same results.

The same goes for any jQuery plugins I've downloaded. I'm using a
several that I need avalible on all pages, and I'd like to combine
them - these also break when I do this.

Am I missing something here?