It's probably the Unicode 'BOM' (byte order marker). It creeps in when
you save utf-8 files through Notepad or some other editors. Most HTML
editors either show it visually at the beginning of the file allowing
you to delete it manually or have an option to remove it ('Remove BOM
signature' or something like that in Dreamweaver).

- ricardo