First, I'm sorry I have no answers, but I want you to know you are not
alone with this issue.  I also need users to be able to select
multiple rows at once, using a modifier key like shift.  Sometimes
they will select 20 rows at a time so clicking each one individually
would be a usability nightmare.

I will be watching this thread with high hopes, I've also seen Grid
and Ingrid which are very close, but not quite there.