I obviously don't know your scale, specifically, but the site I've put
together I don't consider to be all that deep, however, I see some
apparent slowness with the AJAX actions having to wait for responses
from my server scripts as well as short animations that seem to stack
on each other waiting for things to happen in the order they're
executed.

If you'd like a better view into the timing of things, make sure you
watch the page's performance in the Firebug extension (http://
getfirebug.com/) with the YSlow add-on (http://developer.yahoo.com/
yslow/), as well.

Chrome has a similarly handy time charting mechanism, but I don't have
it handy on my machine to see what it's called.

You might also want to debug with BlackBird (http://
www.gscottolson.com/blackbirdjs/) as it makes it mindlessly easy to do
time-profiling on the various components, to help you zero in on the
slowness, some more.

-Wayne