Right from the docs

http://docs.jquery.com/Attributes/hasClass#class
Returns true if the specified class is present on at least one of the
set of matched elements

So say you have an element, let's say:

and you we wondering if it has "SomeClass", then:

$("#SomeDiv").hasClass("SomeClass")

would be  "false"

with that said though, if you are just going to say:

$("#SomeDiv").addClass("SomeClass");

then there's no need to check if it has the class already or not, it's
not going to be applied twice