Not a bad tutorial.  !

But... :)

In your code you are doing things like

# var windowHeight = document.documentElement.clientHeight;
# var menuHeight = document.getElementById("menu").clientHeight;

You can use jQuery here too:

var windowHeight = $(window).height();
var menuHeight = $("#menu").height();

at line 158 you have the following:

# var liList = $("#lateralPanel li").get();
#     for (var i = 0, item; item = liList[i]; i++) {
#         if(item.innerHTML == $(this).text())
#             item.className = "active";
#         else
#             item.className = "";
#     }

I believe this can be replaced with:

$("#lateralPanel li").removeClass("active");
$(this).addClass("active");

- that will remove the active class from all the list items, then add it to
the target element that triggered the click event (the function that
surrounds the snippet above).

Also, you have code in there that handles browser differences.  jQuery handles
most of this for you.  For instance:

$("#myObj").height(100);

handles the differences between most browsers.  Which makes your code even
easier to read.

Otherwise not a bad start.  Keep em coming. :)

Shawn