On Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2008, Mike Alsup wrote:
> > I would like to use $.ajaxSetup to set up a global error handler that
> > knows how to deal with HTTP 401 codes ("Authentication required"). I
> > am enhancing a few tables with AJAX using jQuery but I made my backend
> > send back an HTTP error code 401 to force authentication if the user's
> > login session timed out. The idea was to redirect to the '/login' page
> > then.
>
> Well, normally the server would redirect on a session timeout

Would the client react properly if the server sent a "Location:" header as
a response to an XHR? I hadn't expected jQuery to deal with that and
change the "location" to what's in the response header.

> but if
> you want/need to do it on the client then use the xhr object that is
> passed as the first arg to your error handler:
>
> $.ajaxSetup({
>     error: function(xhr, status, err) {
>         if (xhr.status == 401)
>             window.location.href = './login';
>     }
> });

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I didn't find the XHR object
documented. Perhaps this code snippet is worth getting added to the
documentation. :)

Kindly
 Christoph