Figured it out.  Accidently. :)

If the  "ui-dialog" class is manually assigned to the dialog container before
opening the modal dialog, the text boxes do not work right.  However, if the
class is not manually assigned and just treated normally, the text boxes work
fine.

I.e.  the following code fails:

$("#dialogContainer").remove();
var dc = $('<div id="dialogContainer" class="ui-dialog">content</div>');
$("body").append(dc);
$("#dialogContainer").dialog({
        title : "Organization",
        modal: true,
        width: 650,
        height: 350,
        overlay: { opacity: 0.5, background: "black" },
});

But changing the "var dc=" line to

var dc = $('<div id="dialogContainer">content</div>');

and the above code works great.  (assuming your "content" has some text boxes
in it of course...)

Funny how sometimes forgetting to add a class in can lead to such
discoveries.. :)  Hope this helps someone out.

Shawn.

Odd.  in my same project, with similar code, The modal dialogs work fine.