Hi,

1st of all thanx and kudos to the creators of mighty LinkSelect
plugin!

I stumbled upon the situation, which seems confusing to me. In my app,
I noticed that the LinkSelect used to create the container for its
option list which is too wide. I read the docs and found the option
"fixedWidth". To my bewilderment, it didn't work. I fired the Venkman
and analyzed, what's going on...

So, the following piece of code takes care of the container width
(lines 532-537):

// get the width of the anchor link unless inline, then grab width of
parent
var aw = ($a.css("display").indexOf("inline") > -1) ?
$a.parent().outerWidth() : $a.outerWidth();
// get the original width of the container
var width = options.fixedWidth ? aw : $container.width();
// make sure the width of the drop down is at least as wide as the
link
if( width < aw ) width = aw;

in my case, the fragment of DHTML structure (after LinkSelect has
already transformed SELECT into A) is:

<h5>ORIGIN</h5>
<label>Country: </label>
<a class="linkselectLink" id="_link" href="#">Select country...</
a><input type="hidden" value="" id="" name=""/>
<label>Port:</label>
<a class="linkselectLink" id="_link" href="#">Select city...</a><input
type="hidden" value="" id="" name=""/>

so, while the width the options for each SELECT is only appox 140px,
LinkSelect executes the line

if( width < aw ) width = aw;

and takes the WIDTH OF THE CONTAINER (td), which is way bigger - 330px
in my case. Needless to say, the container turns to be excessively
wide.

I worked this around by enclosing my original SELECTs in a span. But
the question to the developers of LinkSelect - is it the intended and
correct behavior?

cheers,
snobo

P.S. I posted this one also to jQuery Plugins group, but seems this
group is kinda dead... Hmm, I wonder should that group be eliminated -
right now it seems confusing to which group messages regarding plugins
& UI ought to be posted...