jQuery plays well with other libraries and even with other jQuery
instances.

http://docs.jquery.com/Core/jQuery.noConflict

There's a known incompatibility with Prototype 1.7.x (fixed by them on
1.8.x).
Our last revision on trunk can co-exist even with that conflicting
version of Prototype.

http://docs.jquery.com/Core/jQuery.noConflict

--
Ariel Flesler