Very clever implementation of yours.

I believe the question is *what for* is the function being currently
used? I believe most common cases are very short (<15 chars) strings,
usually small bits of data that are going to be thrown as hash keys or
something. In that case the standard regexp version is still faster.

Maybe trim() should switch between these two modes depending on the
strings length?