I had a similar problem...
The difference is that I'm trying to clone the file input inside the same
document, just another, hidden, form.
I found a workaround, but I don't know if it'll work for you as well.

Since I was going to clear the form after the whole thing anyway, I decide
to do the inverse: append the original input to the new form, then clone it
and then append the clone to the original form.
It's kinda messy, but worked for me. Of course I'm doing this only in IE,
other browsers use the normal procedure.

Hope it helps.

Rafael Soares