Ok, it seems I still need help here.

var ajaxFormOptions = {  beforeSerialize: function(){
$("#hidden_input").attr("value","test"); } };
$('#form').ajaxForm(ajaxFormOptions);

works fine now :). However, in reality, I don't want to set the value of the
input field to an arbitrary value, I actually make another ajax request to
receive that value, but for some reason the input field stays empty this
way:

$(document).ready(function()
{
        var ajaxFormOptions = {
                beforeSerialize: function(){
                        $.ajax({
                                method: "get", url: "ajax.php", data: "",
                                success: function(html){
$("#hidden_input").attr("value",html); }
                        });
                },
        };

        $('#form').ajaxForm(ajaxFormOptions);
});

(Note: alerting the html var inside the success function of $.ajax displays
the correct value, but the hidden_input field value stays empty on the
server.)