Need a little more detail.  How are you selecting a node?

If I assume for a moment you have a class called "myClass" on the
nodes/elements that can be selected, and that you are selecting these nodes by
clicking on them, then you can get the ID like this:

$(".myClass").click( function () {
  var theID = $(this).attr("id");
  // ... do something with the id ....
});

You can get ANY attribute using the .attr() method.

HTH

Shawn