I am trying to create something of a shuffle effect. I grab some data
consisting of firstname and lastname from an xml file. then i randomly
select one, assign it to a span, fade it in and fade it back out. I do
this for a few names to give the effect of shuffling through the list
of names.

 it was working fine until i tried to explicitly set the span text to
a value. Below is an example of my code (yes i am not very well verse
with jquery at all)

 $('input[name="btnGet"]').click(function(e) {
                         e.preventDefault();
                 var spanName = $('span#contestant_name');
                    for (var x = 0; x <= 15; x++) {
                        spanName.fadeIn('slow');
                        spanName.fadeOut('slow', setRandContestant);
                        if (x == 15) {
                            spanName.text('Cecil');
                            spanName.fadeIn('slow');

so what i expected this to do is shuffle through the names and when
the variable x is 15 just show whatever name i set. however whats
happening is that the name is set first and then the code in the for
loop is run ......
I noticed the same thing if i put an alert(' ') at the end of the
script; the alert fires first and then the fade animations are run.

Could someone please tell me what i am doing wrong ?