True, combining files would be the best option.

I'm thinking in the case where I would like to detect weather or not a
specific plugin is required. So if x element exists then include x
plugin. Just looking for something like the Dojo require, which loads
its' modules.

Another option I thought of is to $('head').append('<script ...></
script>');