Michael, I tried your test verbatim as the callback to my $.ajax
{ complete : yourFunctionNameHere }.  Worked like a charm.  I saw the
expected results in the console.

However, when switch your xml to be evaluated out for the
xhr.responseText - I get an "error" in firebug "XML or text
declaration not at start of entity".

Just to check, I put an alert right before the call to parseXML() and
I can see the full xml of the response.

alert(res.responseText);
var dom = parseXML(res.responseText);

I couldn't tell what caused the hiccup.  Any ideas?