Hi Jorn,

Thanks for all your hard work on the plugin! I'm hesitant to call this a bug
report or a feature request since I was just looking to solve my specific
problems. I haven't really looked at it in a more general way, i.e. if my
scenario applies in other cases often enough to warrant it being implemented
in the main branch. But if you are considering it, then that's great! I wish
I could help more, but I feel I'm not competent enough in jQuery and
Javascript in general to offer suggestions.

About my original problem, I sidestepped it by delegating the remote call to
a separate input, then passing the returned data to the autocomplete-able
input.