What I mean to say is, a modal isn't about stopping flow of code. It's about
restricting interaction to a certain set of elements, until the interaction
is complete. So it allows interaction with elements in that modal (requiring
code flow - remember javascript is single-threaded), preventing interaction
with all others, until it's closed.

If you're wanting to call a modal like a function and have it return a value
(think confirmation dialog), it won't work to block like that. An
alternative pattern is to provide a callback function that will resume
execution after the modal is closed.

- Richard