I think if you require only one to be selected you are probably better
off with radio buttons.  They are specified to allow only one.

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/forms/input.html

"The radio and checkbox input types provide switches that can be
turned on and off by the user. The two types differ in that radio
buttons are grouped (by specifying the same NAME attribute on each
INPUT) so that only one radio button in a group can be selected at any
time. "