Thanks Mike (and sorry about getting your name wrong, not sure how i
managed that).

You are correct of course, I changed the settings to
timeout: 10000,
speed: 2000,

and response time is much better in IE.
I'll check it on lower powered computers to make sure I am being more
responsible with CPU usage.

Thanks again,
Pete