Hi All,

We've (my company) released a new credit card validation extension for the jQuery Validation plugin. It allows you to pass in the type of credit card being used, which therefore allows the validation routine to provide a more thorough validation. The prefix and length of the card number are checked against an array of card data. A mod-10 (Luhn algorithm) check is performed on the card number (as in the Validation plugin's core creditcard validator). Dashes and spaces in the card number are allowed.

We created this extension after discovering that the core creditcard validation routine allows some card numbers to pass through that are actually invalid (see the examples we posted). Since our solution lead to reliance on passing in specific card names, it seemed like an extension was the way to go (rather than a mod of the core creditcard validation function).

Info, examples, documentation and download links are available in the Labs area of our site:

http://www.ihwy.com/Labs/jquery-validate-credit-card-extension.aspx

This should help tighten up CC validation if you're using jQuery Validation plugin already. We're using this on a network of retail storefronts and so far so good, but if anyone spots anything screwy, please let me know.

Happy validating! Validate on! I'd validate that. What's the valid reason for that? Feeling validated? Validictorian?

- Jack

twitter: http://twitter.com/ihwy_jack