While the urge to editorialize on the design concept is almost
unbearable, I will restrict my comment to only the question:

http://plugins.jquery.com/project/autoscroll

Probably you could simplify that considerably since the fundamental
requirement is 'how many 1/6's (or other fraction) of the distance
across the container is my mouse.'

A simple mouse-move event captured across a div, which would load the
appropriate image into the background-image of the div, is all you
need.  An entire plug-in is not really necessary.  It's just not that
complex.