Test case at http://apache.pastebin.ca/1261109

When the H1 is edited and the OK button clicked, the callback is
invoked.  It *should* add some plaintext to the end of the H1 content,
and also a <span> element.  However, it doesn't add the <span>.

I have run through this with Firebug and set a breakpoint in the
callback.  I haven't stepped into the actual jQuery code because I'd
get lost ;-) but I verify that plaintext gets added but <span>
doesn't.

However, while halted in the callback, I can manually (in the Firebug
console) issue the identical $(this).append('<span>foo</span>') -- and
it works.

What's going on?  I'm doing something really obvious wrong, aren't I?