Carl,

> I'm using the linkselect plugin to replace select objects in forms
> with a custom look... The issue I'm having is that when these occur in
> navigation menus/panels that appear on hover, hovering down onto the
> replaced select object listing causes the actual navigation menu to
> disappear, as if the hover behavior that turns it on stops registering
> as still being hovered.
>
> I've posted a test page here:
> http://www.cement-site.com/selecttest/test.html
> (mouse over the "news & events" item to display the menu, then click
> on the "Area Name 1" and mouse down over the list that displays..).
>
> There's one linkselect object in the menu, and another, just for
> comparison, in the content area of the page.
>
> What causes the menu hover to deactivate? Is there any way to tweak
> this so that the menu will persist when the replaced select object is
> open?

The problem is HTML elements created for the linkselect are located as
children of the <body /> tag. So, when you hover over these elements,
you're no longer hovering over the element with the form.

You can probably fix this by moving the container object into your
hover element, but I'm not sure what the reprecusions of this will be
(it might mean the placement of the dropdown no longer appears in the
correct location.)

To move the container into your hover element, do this:

$('select').linkselect({
        fixedWidth: true
        , init: function ($select, $input, $am $container){
                        $("#navNewsSearch").append($container);

This should move the container so it's a child element of your form.
This should at least make the container element so it's a child of the
hover over menu.

-Dan