Also you need to add the handlers after DOM has loaded, or run the
script at the end of the document body:

<script type="text/javascript">
$(document).ready(function(){

    $('#lstRace').change(function(){
          alert('yay');
    });

   // everything that deals with elements in here

});
</script>

Sounds like you're starting in Javascript via jQuery, that's not the
wisest choice. Try learning the basics of Javascript before tackling
jQuery, that will make things a lot easier for you.

cheers,
- ricardo