I don't think there's anyway to directly reference what's in a style
declaration, only indirectly through an html element (as you found).
However, you could temporarily create an element, assign the class of
interest to it, and work with that.  Of course, you probably want to
'learn' what classes are defined so you know what to assign to the
temp element, which gets you nowhere because there's no way to read
the style information (that I know of).