This is an insurance quoting application, and we do allow partial
saving of the data, but a complete 'submit' is not allowed until all
edits have passed and required information has been entered.  Our goal
is to provide instant premium updates and realtime edit checking based
on the information entered, so we are already using ajax to save some
things (deductibles, coverages and limits based on radio buttons) to
the database and doing a premium calculation and also returning edit
messages, but my concern is with the rest of the info - policy holder
details, loss payees, and a few other things, some of which can also
affect the premiums.  For consistency it seems to me that it all
should save immediately but you're right in that it adds complication
and also increases the chance of a failure...