First off, I want to thank everyone for such quick replies.

> That will work, but it's a fairly brittle way to do things. If you add
> another link earlier in your page, it will change the loop indexes and
> you'll have to revise your code to match.

I understand and agree with you. I don't think it's a bulletpoof
technique. I'm honestly just trying this as a way to explore and
understand the language.

> Instead, I would suggest giving each of those A tags its own ID. That way
> you don't have to change your code if you rearrange the tags or add another
> one in the middle. For example:

> Now you can simply give each one its own click handler:
>
>  $('#one').click( function() {
>     // handle click on link 1
>     return false;  // suppress default action
>  });
>
>  $('#two').click( function() {
>     // handle click on link 2
>     return false;  // suppress default action
>  });
>
> etc.
>
> Or you can still use a switch statement if you want:
>
>  $('a').click( function() {
>     switch( this.id ) {
>        case 'one':
>           // handle click on link 1
>           break;
>     }
>  });

I honestly thought of a similar idea using the rel attribute, but this
is not really what I want. I'd like to try doing this without having
to "dirty-up" the markup (no attributes: id, rel, etc. ).

> If there are a large number of A tags in your page, you may want to consider
> event delegation instead. It's pretty easy to do. How many A tags will there
> be?

As of now, there are only four links. Nevertheless, I'm trying to code
this in a way so that the number of links doesn't matter...