The tooltip should work with all elements that trigger a mouseover event and
have a title. Though there are known problems with selects, so problems with
checkboxes are not unlikely, too.

You could try to add a label to the checkbox and put the title on the label.
Link it via the "for"-attribute and it could be good enough.

Jörn