There's nothing special about chaining methods. You can do it in most
decent languages (in PHP, you could design methods to allow something
like: $toys->addNew("Block")->delete();) and all it involves is
returning an instance of the current object. It's not a performance
hit by any means.

A chainable method, in jQuery, is written:

$.fn.newMethod = function() {
    // Function body...
    return $(this);
}

As you can see, all that's happening is "this" is being converted to a
jQuery object (defined by jQuery and its alias "$") and returned.

Thomas