You're seeing a known problem with IE7 (and unfortunately not fixed in
the new IE8).  The problem has to do with ClearType rendering of
fonts.  If you use a fade effect on a font rendered with ClearType,
you get the ugly jagginess you are witnessing.  I've whined about this
to MS for a LONG time, most recently on the IE8 beta feedback.
Despite the fact that everyone sees it happening, there is no
acknowledgement that it will be fixed.  It even shows up when using
the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit's fade effects.

I'd love to see someone find a fix for this.  It seems to crop up when
the opacity is set, however removing the opacity doesn't seem to
matter.  Best workaround is to avoid fading text.  If you absolutely
have to, try putting a div in front of the text the same color as the
background and fade the div in over the text.