This sort of goes against the grain of what jQuery is about -- UJS
(unobtrusive javascript).  I think what you're normally do (or at
least, what I'd do; I'm not a huge buff on passing validation) is add
a record_id property to the input, then have like

<input type='button' value='Button' onclick='Record.show()'
id="my_show_button" />

$("input.my_show_button").click(function(){ $("#record_"+$(this).attr
("record_id")).show() });

or something.  Or you could encode the record id in the name or id of
the input (like after a _ or something, my_show_button_4).

I may be wrong, but I think Prototype is more about creating object
classes (like Record), but jQuery certainly isn't.

Thoughts?

Max