I wonder if you've tried any existing plugins (plugins.jquery.com) in the
'Tables' category?

http://plugins.jquery.com/project/Plugins/category/54

Here are a couple that jump out as worth looking into:

http://plugins.jquery.com/project/DataTables

http://plugins.jquery.com/project/tablesorter

If they don't suit your needs exactly, there's likely some code there to
give you a good starting point.

- Richard