If the new handlers would want to extend on (be siblings of) the
"invalidHandler" feature, then they should be consistent with
invalidHandler's behavior. If invalidHandler fires after validation,
then that's when the new events should fire.

On a slightly different note, a passive observer may not care when the
event fires relative to the validation itself, namely because a
passive observer cares if the field "would be considered valid" and
not much about what's out there. For observers that intend to make
changes, like the one that sets up tooltips, a post validation event
makes it easier, as all the markup and data is there to manipulate
when the post-validation event fires. A pre-validation event would
achieve this reasonably only if it allowed the handler to specify a
callback that generates the label, or other such complications. (Note
Windows programming has historically provided both pre- and post-
events for various processes---recall OnBeforeSave and OnAfterSave---
but that may also be too much.)

In general, the more hooks one provides, the better the performance
that can be achieved with the framework; our point in case, the
tooltip example, indicates that an after- event handler will do work
that makes the label generation process superfluous (hence unnecessary
work on the part of the validator).

I would go ahead and provide the after- event. I'm thinking in the
future you'll want to separate the validation from the rendering of
the vaidation results and that will make it easier to allow
customizations of the rendering (I think there's a note about this
separation on your site) but hey, I've only just arrived in both
jQuery and Validator workd; you'll get better input on this hot topic
from more informed users.

Mihai