It's not an infinite loop. Your cursor is passing over the div and
back several times, causing the hover states to toggle. Try this:

Now, run your cursor in and out of the div several times. The toggling
should run for a bit, then stop.

The fix is to either set a width on the div so that it doesn't go the
entire width of the page or check out the hoverIntent plugin.