I evaluated the jQuery modal windows a few months back and jqModal and
Thickbox were at the top of the list due to their popularity, good
examples, and they do most everything you want. I would lean towards
jqModal since the author is active with keeping it up to date. The
built-in UI Dialog is certainly worth considering as well. For the
project I was working at the time I decided to use Telerik AJAX
controls (I already had a license). These are expensive controls for
.NET Web sites that ColdFusion can't do much with. I also use jQuery a
lot, but when it comes to making serious business Web applications,
some of the Ajax libraries that cost money end up being a good value.
When you pay money for component libraries you get a lot of
documentation, help, tutorials, training videos, continual upgrades,
etc. The Ajax support built into ColdFusion is quite good. I've used
cfwindow for modal windows before with great success.

-Mike Chabot