Hey,
I'm using the jCarousel to fill a page vertically, while the remains
fixed. In order to do this I wrote a function that gets the height of
the browser window and then sets the height of the carousel to the
browser.

var getHeight;
function setCarouselHeight() {
        getHeight = 0;
        if ($.browser.opera){
                getHeight = window.innerHeight;
        }else{
                getHeight = $(window).height();
        }
        getHeight = getHeight - 37; //extra padding for carousel buttons/
chrome
        $(".jcarousel-container-vertical").height(getHeight);
        $(".jcarousel-clip-vertical").height(getHeight);
}

I then call this function on init and reload:

$(document).ready(function() {
    $("#smartbar").jcarousel({
        vertical: true,
                scroll: 1,
                initCallback: setCarouselHeight,
                reloadCallback: setCarouselHeight

The problem I'm facing is that when loading or resizing the smartbar
takes 3-4 seconds to load.

I've got an example set up here: http://resourceserver.org/jcarousel/

I've narrowed it down to a height:auto issue with .jcarousel-item but
I'm not sure. Would really appreciate any help.