From: jquery-en@googlegroups.com [mailto:jquery...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of hotdog...@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2008 3:18 PM
To: jQuery (English)
Subject: [jQuery] Re: Problems with more than one AJAX request at a time

On Dec 12, 1:02 pm, "Josh Nathanson" <joshnathan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, you should be able to fire the other requests.  Maybe you could post
> little code.
Ah, thank you for your quick response! Here's the relevant part of my
code:
http://paste2.org/p/114906

This is in the <head /> section of my page. What I'm trying to do here
is implement a message system where people can send messages to each
other. Right now, it's at a proof-of-concept stage. I'll give you the
rundown of my code:

Firstly, jQuery's AJAX setup is called so the requests never cache in
the browser. Then, all the current messages are gotten and added to
the document with the call to $.getJSON("message"). Then, I defined a
a waitformessages() function. In here, an AJAX request is sent to the
server (http://hostname/wait). This request is special because the
server doesn't send a response back until a new message appears and
there's something to send. Then, the cycle starts itself over with
another call to waitformessages().

Finally, I have a form and its submit handler is set up to post a new
message using AJAX to http://hostname/new?message=yadda .

Here's what's supposed to happen:
The user loads the page. All the messages are displayed and
waitformessages() has a persistent connection to the server just
waiting for somebody to say something. They type something in the
form, the request gets sent, and immediately the callback in
waitformessages() will fire, showing their message on the screen.

Problem is, according to firebug, the AJAX call to submit the new
message never gets sent because the call in waitformessages() hasn't
finished yet. D'oh.

If you'd like, I can post the server source code here too. It's
written in CherryPy.

Thanks a bunch and Merry Christmas!
-Mike