I've been converting a legacy web app to use JQuery.  I've now cleaned
it up so that my HTML validates and I have instrumented the code with
classes and id's as appropriate.  This app is essentially a table that
displays the status of jobs for Autosys.

The problem that I'm having is that when I hide the entire list, the
browser hangs for several minutes.

There are sometimes over 2000 rows.  I have cached the full resultset
into a variable, though I'm not sure how helpful this is.

In the code below, the initial setting of $allRows doesn't take much
time at all, but when I hit the hide() line, the browser hangs for
waaaay too long.  interestingly, if I comment out the hide() command,
and then manually issue a comand like $allRows.css("color", "red"); it
works in a very reasonable amount of time.

$(function() {
    $allRows = $("tbody>tr");
    $allRows.hide();
}

Also, if I let it run once to completion and all of the rows are
hidden, then I can show() them and hide() them in reasonable time.

Is it something with my selector?

Thanks, folks.

Eric