> I'm using filters to find if an <li>'s text matches a certain value,
> and then changing the value if it does. This works fine.  However, if
> I then use my selectors to check for the new value, jquery does not
> seem to pick it up, making me wonder if perhaps the selectors only
> work for values coded into the actual html, not generated by jquery.

Are you executing that block of code each time you change the content?
The selectors work for the content that exists at the time you execute
it. So for this:

$("li.dnt:contains('Donate')").click(function(){

The click handler is attached for all li.dnt elements that contain
"Donate" at that point in time. If you later add the text "Donate" to
a li.dnt element that didn't previously have it, jQuery is not
constantly checking the document to determine that you  have done
this.

If you really want that behavior of having jQuery constantly check for
updates and attaching handlers, check out the livequery plugin.