The disabled class is not supposed to be assigned to all but the
selected tab. Where did you get that information from? It is only
assigned to tabs that either are disabled via option

$(...).tabs({ disabled: [1, 2]});

or if a single tab is manually disabled:

$(...).tabs('disable', 1);

There is a difference between disabled and unselected.

--Klaus