Well, it all depends how you're intending to save the shirt
customisations in the back end!

Assuming you're saving some list of images for shirts (along with
their positions) in your database, there's no reason this couldn't be
done via ajax.

I'd advise, however, making this save in a traditional full page load
for now - it's not usually that difficult to "ajaxify" something
that's already working, and will make the task at hand a lot clearer
and more focussed.