I have replaced alternate with an alert statement. The alert statement
works on document load. However, it is not being called after sorting
(forgot to mention, the table is being sorted after the user clicks on
one of the headers). Why is it so?

$(document).ready(function() {
     $("#tableID").tablesorter({
    alert('Call to alternate function is here');//shows on document
load, but not after table is sorted
 });