I don't understand about the lowercase/uppercase thing. But I do know
that datePicker expects the 4-digit format string to be 'yy' not
'yyyy'. Maybe that's the problem.

I do think it *should* be 'yyyy', though. 'yy' is a bad choice, IMHO.

http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Datepicker/%24.datepicker.formatDate