I am storing js objects using jQuery.data

eg.
        var newDeployment = {
                server: server,
                application: application,
                references: references
        };

$('select#something option:first').data('value', newDeployment);

The problem is that I then want to get a copy of that value, to modify, and
store elsewhere, but it is like I am getting a reference to the object,
since if I say

var newVar =
$('select#something option:first').data('value');
newVar.references = newReferences;

it's updating the value in
$('select#something option:first').data('value') instead of just newVar

Is there a way to get just a copy of the data, not the reference to the data
itself?