Ah, I think I see the issue. Am I right in assuming that you don't
want to simulate the backspace, but detect it?

Also, how are you keeping track of the replacement? It seems to me
that you could do yourself a big favor and make what the user enters
not what you show the user, so when they delete a smiley, you can just
remove the whole thing?