Thanks for the tip, Josh.

As a matter of fact, that's the tutorial that I modified
to create a modal window, ajax-based login I just finished.

It uses cfjson.cfc.  Part of what I was wondering is if cfjson.cfc
is still required or the recommended approach to CF and ajax in light
of CF 8's built-in ajax functionality.

I also have questions about when JSON is necessary, etc., too.

I'm just trying to get more of a general education about CF and ajax.

Rick